Saturday, April 16, 2011

"As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them."

Our yoga practice today was centered around gratitude, and not just gratitude for the blessings of our lives, but for the opportunity to struggle, to be challenged, to feel and overcome difficulties. As the sweat dripped off our noses as we twisted, stretched, and balanced precariously in the Strong Vinyasa class, my instructor said: aren't you grateful for the chance to feel that incredible burning sensation in your quads? And we chuckled (while trying to breathe,) but he was right. Living with grace is not just about the good moments, when everything aligns and feels right; it is also about living the challenges, the pain, and the uncertainty and being grateful to have those experiences, even if they're not what you want. I think about the anger or distress I have felt during particular times in my life whether with school, work, relationships, or anything really, and recognize that those difficult times were blessings. It is those challenges that have given me the opportunity to find strength and courage, and be able to apply it to future issues. I think about times of uncertainty or confusion, and recognize my gratitude for life not always being clear or planned out...or I would have missed out on the delicious feeling of finding my way through the fog. So as I utter words about such gratitude that I am trying to find in every instance, I will strive to instead just live with a daily sense of grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment