Thoughts inspired by quotations. Realizations of love, friendship, wellness, gratitude and meaning within every day.
Wednesday, March 16, 2011
"Change is the only constant."
I realize that most people would not consider me "laid back." I don't easily go with the flow; I have always either encouraged, created, or fought "the flow." Individuals like my brother or my Uncle Tom "go with the flow," in a way that makes them like-able and easy-going. But I like to plan and organize and materialize grand scenarios of what I think is the best decision. And it's not always the best way. I'm stubborn and opinionated, but I also have a big heart and emotions that can sometimes overcome me in inopportune times. I often hate allowing change to have its inevitable strength, yet I welcome it when it suits me. I seek change when it comes to promoting an open mind, as my many educational transfers/moves across states have been extraordinarily enlightening. But when a change is out of my immediate control, I can feel threatened and inferior. I can fight without reason, but with passion. I should have become a human rights lawyer, as my mom often remarks, in that I cannot stand a breach of injustice or humanity. I feel sick to my stomach over events in the news, and I draw upon my background in political science when I feel I have no other choice. But ultimately change is constant. Nothing stays the same for long. I won't be a restaurant server for very much longer, and I won't have just myself to worry about for the majority of my life. My goal is to embrace the changes that encircle me, to realize that I can plan for the future, to have an opinion and to care, but there are many things that are not up to me. I will fight the battles that I can fight, and endure what I must endure. In the end what matters most is who you love, what you love to do, and what your heart believes in.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
As young women, we're often told that it's important to be "easy going", "low maintenance", and "laid back", when the real underlying message is that we should be willing to subvert our will and compromise on what we want in life and our relationships. Knowing what you want and having the ability to make it happen by planning and organizing doesn't make you unlikeable; those are valuable traits! Being both passionate and steadfast doesn't mean that you're an inflexible person. Celebrate these strengths and maintain your self awareness, just in case you do get stuck in a rut!
ReplyDeletexoxo,
Jayla